Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's over...

First of all, I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude and thanks to all my friends who came and supported me after my mum's passing. Friends whom I have lost contact with for so many years contacted me and attended my mum's wake. My mobile phone was flooded with so many SMS-es that I couldn't reply all of them. To those who were expecting a reply from me, I apologize for not doing so as there were too many SMS-es till I can't reply. To those who came to my mum's wake and her funeral, your presence meant the world to me. Once again, I thank you.

On Monday, I led the prayer and funeral service at home at 1330. After that, we departed to Jesus Caritas in Kepong Baru for the funeral mass. I presented an eulogy for my mum and this is my script.

Faith is a wonderful and powerful gift from God. This was the final lesson my mum taught me during her battle with cancer. She was diagnosed with breast cancer early last year. Naturally, this came as a huge shock for her and my family. I remembered the time she personally broke the news to me, she repeatedly told me not to blame God and said, I quote,"If this is the cross God wants me to bear, I will bear it for it is His will be done, not mine".

All this while, my mum never asked why nor did she lament for being afflicted with this disease. The most ironic part was, instead of having the family to comfort and console her when we found out about her condition, she was the one consoling us! Even in the most agonizing last two months of her life, she repeatedly reminded us not to blame or hate God for she has already accepted whatever God has planned for her. Her unwavering faith in God was an inspiration to all of us.

Just as God has granted the gift of faith to my mum and myself, my mother has always longed for the day my father and siblings will be given this gift as well. Even though her journey on Earth has ended, I am confident that she will continue to pray for their conversion in Heaven. Hopefully, God will fulfill her wish in the near future.

On behalf of my family, I would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all our relatives, friends, BEC and the community of Jesus Caristas for your prayers, support and assistance rendered. Before I end this speech, I would like to share a poem which I think aptly describes my mum's feelings.

I'm Free

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free,
I'm following paths God made for me,
I took His hand, I heard Him call...
Then turned, and bid farewell to all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to sing, to play,
Tasks left undone must stay that way,
I found my peace ... at close of day.

And if my parting left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy,
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened ... deep with sorrow,
I wish you sunshine of tomorrow,
My life's been full ... I've savoured much,
Good friends, good times ...
A loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief,
Light up your heart and share with me,
God wants me now ... He set me free.

Author Unknown

Once the mass ended, we departed to Nilai Memorial Park and there my mum was laid to rest. Now, there will still be another 3 days of prayer at my home which will end this coming Thursday. It will start at 9pm and led by yours truly. If you want to participate, do give me a ring and I will let you know the directions to my place.

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce that I will no longer reside in Cyberia. Instead, I will be travelling back and forth between my house in Kepong to Cyberjaya until further notice. After the passing of my mum, things have changed... for better or for worse, I wouldn't know.

Finally, I would once again want to thank everyone who participated in my mum's wake and funeral. Thank you for all the condolences and well wishes. Many thanks for the support and assistance rendered to my family and I. God bless

1 comment:

Jouleous! said...

Courage and strength, my friend.