Sunday, January 15, 2006

My computer, my heartache...

I had a freaking frustrating Saturday. I have to format and troubleshoot computers at my work place and I had to do the same for my beloved computer at home. It's not that I mind formatting the harddrive and reinstalling everything for this PC, I was just frustrated at the fact that I had spent the whole freaking day to troubleshoot the problem of my computer crashing on a regular basis, programmes not running the way it should and not able to reboot on its own even after a fresh OS installation.

I tried to use different *ahem* copies of Windows XP with SP2, reverted my SLi graphic cards (Scalable Link interface for dual Graphic Cards) drivers to the older one, flashed my BIOS to the older versions and installed older chipset drivers. Nothing seems to work. The problem of my motherboard's BIOS updater not being able to detect my motherboard keeps popping up (and when this happens, a whole lot of programmes cannot be installed or won't run after installation). Finally, after a whole day of flashing the BIOS and reinstalling Windows, I finally found the problem. My Creative Audigy 2 ZS drivers (for you noobs, it's my soundcard) was the problem. I was using the Beta Unified drivers and everytime I installed that driver, it screws up my registry and corrupts my chipset drivers as well as my OS. Of course, for me to finally pinpoint this problem after a whole day of troubleshooting, I was in a very foul mood (profanities abound!) but thank God I retained my sanity and didn't throw my beloved CPU off the cliff or douse water onto it. Man... this is the last time I am ever going to try any Beta drivers for any of my computer hardware and peripherals!

3 comments:

bumbz said...

coz de pc dun like u lor..>:P

tan said...

no wonder dun see u online whole day, throw ur pc to me :p btw, i also using the beta unified driver wor, np :-" last time u install also no problem 1 right?

time to change the pc owner liao lor :D

Anonymous said...

ur pc damn cun man...respect