Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Contractors,politics and working ethics

For a couple of days since last week, i have been working with my supervisor to ensure the network or patch points in each room on the 17th to 21st floor are working. Each of the newly renovated rooms will have a thin client which is a dumb terminal for the guests to utilize broadband internet. Since my supervisor has a lot of other responsibilities, he has entrusted me to oversee the contractors' rectification works. My job is pretty darn simple, bring a laptop and a patch cord (network cable), move from one room to another to check connectivity. If there are patch points which have been relocated by the contractors when they renovated the rooms, i have to ensure that they relocate them back to the original position. Easy task...but being the intermediary between my supervisor and the contractors is HELL!

Contractors kept complaining to me that my supervisor do not have a grasp on the actual situation and is making life difficult on them. In certain rooms, they argue with me that they cannot carry out rectification based on what my supervisor wants. I relayed this to my supervisor and he insisted that i instruct them to do what they were told. Being a trainee, my words don't carry much weight and i am sandwiched between two disagreeing parties. As if things weren't tense enough, we are supposed to go live on the 1st of December which means, all the renovated rooms must have a working thin client and the room can be rented out. It's already the 29th of November and about 1/5 of the rooms have connectivity issues or defects. Can we finish in time? I highly doubt it.

Besides, because of this project, I have seriously pissed off my supervisor. After working for 7 weeks here, today was the first time my supervisor got angry and screwed Tan and myself. It all began on Monday when i brought a laptop with a stupid DVD my department head gave me to test the laptop's DVDROM. Halfway checking the rooms, one of the contractors asked me to follow him to the riser room where the LAN switch is located. I spent some time there trying to troubleshoot some connectivity problem. Almost 45 minutes later, i returned to the room and by then, the other contractors found out about the DVD and were happily watching the show. Not knowing it was wrong to let them do so, i didn't stop them and soon, my supervisor came. My supervisor, not wanting to make a scene at that time, left without saying a word. Not long after that, i had to rush back to office to grab the crimping tools (the tool that makes the network cable's end points). My supervisor was discussing something with two vendors when i came in. In my eagerness to grab the tools from my supervisor, i interrupted his discussion. That was the last straw...i incurred the wrath of my supervisor the very next morning.

During my grilling session by my supervisor, never once did he raise his voice. He was visibly agitated but he kept his cool and explained to us what Tan and I did wrong. (I really salute Mr.Nicholas for this) Tan was screwed because he pissed off the Vice President of the company and I got screwed because of what i did the day before. Mr.Nicholas then explained to us that there are a lot of politics between departments. There are different departments involved in the renovation of the rooms and none of them like each other. If any of the other department staff saw me letting the contractors watch DVD in the room, they will use it against our department in the future. In addition to that, this project has created so much problems that the Senior Vice President (effectively the President) and the top level management staff are monitoring it closely. Any more foul-ups, heads will definitely roll. I personally don't give a rat's butt who gets fired...i just don't want to get involve in this company's politics.

On the final stretch of my rant,thanks to this stupid project, my transfer to Grand Seasons has been put on hold until further notice. The reason? I have been following this project all this while and neither Yap (who is returning from Grand Seasons) or Tan (who has been working under Mr.Chan) knows a single thing about it. Yap will continue his honeymoon at Grand Seasons while i have to face the contractors tomorrow. Oh yeah, it is as though i am fated to work with these contractors. They are also in charge of renovating the rooms at Grand Seasons and they start work in December. I just hope Mr.Balan (MIS supervisor at Grand Seasons) do not ask me to oversee the renovation in Grand Seasons...i don't think i can handle the stress.

5 comments:

tan said...

waiting my honeymoon trip :D hopefully wont be cancelled

brian yap said...

actualy not really 'honeymoon' la...is a life full of loneliness,haha....I dun think balan wil let u handle with contractor la,unless he got another project bigger than this...if he ask u to handle,then i wish u good luck!hahaah....the biggest task i in grandseasons is juz inventory check,mayb he think i m not qualified to handle task tougher than this,haha...

brian yap's supervisor said...

It's a good thing u finally realized u r not qualified.

brian yap's supervisor said...

and please dun "haha..."
it's not funny.

brian yap said...

sure i m not qualified la,i m engineering student,not IT or networking student....