Friday, November 18, 2005

Big buildings...


Looks very posh and classy eh? Not really. This is a corridor of Legend Hotel. This is floor is empty because it is undergoing some renovation. Yesterday and today, i was given the task to check out the connectivity of all the newly renovated rooms to see if the network ports are functional. My task includes dismantling the face plate, which is the plastic cover of the network port to see if there are PVC conduits. After that, i have to use the laptop to obtain a valid IP address from the server. It takes about 6-10 minutes per room depending on how hard it is to screw back the $@#$@#$@# face plates. Today, i had to finish up the rooms i missed out and re-check some of the rooms. My supervisor who followed me yesterday had to attend to other matters and left me after i finished checking 17th and 18th floor. This two floors were quite crowded because it was open for public though some of the contractors are still working. On the 21st floor on the other hand..it was deserted. I had to check more than 20 rooms on that floor alone.
I might sound like i am a sissy or a person who is easily scared. It's not that. I have stayed alone in a whole freaking resort up in Mount Kinabalu without fearing a single thing. Mind you, Mesilau Resort is smack in the centre of Kinabalu forest. Today, while i was doing my work on the 21st floor, i felt very uneasy. Though it was raining cats and dogs outside, it was so quiet on the inside till i can hear myself breathing. The corridors were brightly lit but throughout the time i was there, i felt bloody uneasy. Can't really explain why. I wasn't fearful of getting mugged or raped...something about the environment really creeps me out.
After completing my task on the 21st floor, i returned to the Legend Crest room (sort of a VIP standard room) on the 17th floor. There i met a cabling contractor in the room and also a kwai low (white man) who is the guest of the room. While i was trying to connect the thin client (dumb terminal which does not have any processing capabilities but utilizes the server's processor) to the server, i casually mentioned the uneasy feeling i had. He told me in Cantonese,"There are ghosts in this place". I jokingly replied,"Yeah,there is one ghost behind me(i was refering to the guest)" in Cantonese as well. (In the Canto dialect, Ghost is "kwai" and we also refer to white man as "kwai". Both kwai's have the same pronunciation) He then said,"No lah! I am talking about real ghosts here in this building! I have worked here so many times and i have encountered a lot of weird incidences.". Too bad he was in a hurry and left or i would have asked him to elaborate more.
Tomorrow,I still have to go up to the rooms to re-check to ports that were repaired today. Hmmm...i wonder if i will have any encounters? Haha...this is going to be fun!

2 comments:

brian yap said...

pity u....but plz done it b4 i back to legend....n i wil promise done my inventory update at grandseason b4 u come....set?hahah.....

Rory said...

hey, go and find out more about the 'resident ghost' at the hotel and tell us la. hehehehhe .... Would be interested to here about it :P